Humanities Institute activities vary but usually include some public lectures and regular meetings to report on work in progress. The Institute should normally encourage scholars from different fields to engage in scholarly production (the latter possibly including the publication of a book consisting of work by members of the institute).
The group will normally consist of:
- A Dartmouth faculty director (sometimes co-directors)
- A senior fellow from outside the college (to be designated the William H. Morton Distinguished Senior Fellow) and/or visiting lecturers
- Four junior fellows from outside the college, who will each receive stipends of $7,500
- Four Dartmouth fellows, including the director(s), who will each receive a one-course relief
- Four Dartmouth faculty members other than the chosen fellows, who will receive research stipends of $750
- Additional Dartmouth faculty members admitted without Center funding. The senior fellow will receive a faculty appointment at a fee to be negotiated.